The case for tooth: as garlic can be a core business for small farms
October 26, 2016 [Views: 994]
Despite the fact that garlic is a traditional crop for Ukraine in the middle of the state it is almost grown - industrial production is no more than 10% of the demand. According to official statistics in Ukraine imported about 10 thousand. Tons of garlic in monetary terms is about $ 8 million annually. Why Ukraine loses the money, and why Ukrainian farmers can make more money on the garlic, Agravery.som told so-founder LLC «UkrUP» Anna Morozova.
In recent years, we import more garlic from China rather than producing within the state. Why is this happening? - Observing this, we decided to come to this area. It is sad when one of the symbols of Ukraine, we can not grow on our land, forced to invest in the Chinese economy instead of his own. The complexities in this area is much smaller than prospects. Niche still empty - if ten years, our state has been in the top ten world exporters, but now we are one of the biggest importers of this culture. Accurate statistics on the Ukrainian market of garlic not. Approximately 90% of garlic that we eat are imported to us from abroad. The rest - 10% for producers (3%) and households (7%). Why is there such a situation? - We have experience growing - problems with the appropriate planting material, technology. Our owners do not know when to cut the arrow, which guard and dig in boxes that make garlic. The usual wheat and corn is certainly good, but the garlic business today allows you to earn less. This culture requires much less space - an appropriate level of profitability could be starting with a few hundred. Large agricultural holdings were never interested her - to sow large areas (hundreds of hectares) should be much deeper technological know moments (and they did not) work on the handling, storage and so on. In medium-sized businesses simply do not come to hand this culture - not massive sales within the country. Therefore we can say that a while garlic remained unnoticed by farmers.
The best scenario for the further development of garlic industry can be cooperation. Our company, UkrUP, was founded in 2015. In the beginning we planned to create a company that grows garlic as a niche culture. During the question on the need to expand and create a so-called cluster chasnykovodiv. I want to emphasize that we are not the association with donations and foreign grants, a group of farms that grow garlic combined goal of high quality. Exchange of experience and information, assist each other in purchasing equipment and materials, as well as the final implementation of the product.